Sunday, September 11, 2011

Book Review: "A Man from Another Land"

A Man from Another Land: How Finding My Roots Changed My Life. Isaiah Washington, Lavaille Lavette. 2011. Center Street. 288 pages.
                                            
                                        
“We each have a message, a gift, and a purpose to share with the world.” Isaiah Washington

I've just finished reading, A Man from Another Land. As I sit here, reflecting upon the literary journey it has taken me on. I'm a bit emotional. It is Isaiah’s journey beginning in his birthplace of Houston, Texas to discovering his true ancestry in Sierra Leone. He takes us on a journey filled with a plethora of ups and downs. From being loved by many to ostracized by others. But through it all, he had tremendous faith. Faith in what he believed was his true purpose. A purpose, which continually showed up in his dreams, from a very early age.


I am grateful for this book coming into my life. Within one day of reading it, I wanted to hop on a plane to Africa. I love the integrity that is communicated from beginning to end. Malcolm X once said, “A man who stands for nothing, will fall for anything.” Isaiah Washington stood for something against all odds, when many from all sides encouraged him to throw in the towel.


A Man From Another Land, is a story of courage. It tells us, that no matter how the odds are stacked against us. When destiny comes into play, we will win against all odds. Destiny is destiny. No matter what the circumstances tell you. I highly recommend this book. It is a beautiful and courageous story. Africa oh Africa….This is the tune in my ears. Thank you A Man from Another Land!

“A people cannot determine their future unless they know their past.” Carter G. Woodson

© Copyright 2011-2012, Juan Hagger. All rights reserved.                               

No comments:

Post a Comment